[Ads-l] Pagoda, plausibility of a Chinese etymology

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 1 15:13:37 UTC 2017

BB wrote:  << Are the proposed characters 八角樓 and is the Chinese language
known? >>
WB writes:  Hànyǔ Fāngyīn Zìhuì has 20 dialect readings for all three of
these characters; reconstructions back to Zhou may be available in various
handbooks. If Cohen & Tien don't already have such data, maybe I could dig
it out of my dusty debris. (Also have very sketchy, 25-year old field notes
on pagoda-words among Taiwanese. Btw, it's the word that got me started on
Southern Min field work on the island.)