[Ads-l] winner, winner chicken dinner (1991)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 18 00:06:06 UTC 2017

Barry Popik has turned up a 1990 cite for the variant "winner, winner,
chicken for dinner," now added to his entry here:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/winner_winner_chicken_dinner/

---
16 August 1990, Reno (NV) Gazette-Journal, “Dealer’s Choice” by Janne
Hanrahan, Best Bets, pg. 11, col. 2:
And while I have no idea where we got the popular call of Winner, winner,
chicken for dinner, I know this must be old. When was the last time that
chicken for dinner was a luxury only winners could afford?
---

It's a good question... chicken for dinner hasn't been a luxury for quite a
long time. Are there cites between Peter's "chicken tonight" in 1900 and
Barry's "chicken for dinner" from 1990 that can fill in the gap?

Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/