[Ads-l] to live-tweet

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Thu Jun 8 01:17:50 UTC 2017

_live tweet_ and _live twitter_ and _live blog_ seem to me to resemble the
following (unfinished entries for the next edition of _Barnhart's
Never-finished Political Dictionary_:

*extreme vetting*, {w}  ...................... Also used *attributivrely*.
*Standard* (used in contexts dealing especially with immigration;
frequency?)

Those who call for extreme vetting of refugees should also consider extreme
vetting of gun buyers!  Nunn Scott, *Star-News* [Wilmington, N.C.] (Nexis),
Nov. 25, 2015, p 19

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is asserting that countries
like France that he says are compromised by terrorism may be subjected to
the “extreme vetting” he proposes as a deterrent to attacks in the U.S.

When asked if his proposal might lead to a point when not a lot of people
from overseas are allowed into the U.S., Trump said, “Maybe we get to that
point” and added: “We have to be smart and we have to be vigilant and we
have to be strong.”  “Trump Wants Tougher Immigrant Screening,” *Spokesman
Review* [Spokane] (Nexis), July 24, 2016, p A006

During his presidential campaign, Trump called for “extreme vetting” of
foreigners seeking to come to the United States.

The new, tougher scrutiny is authorized to remain in effect through
November, but it is expected to be updated and made permanent. Carol
Morello, “Some visa applicants are asked for social-media names,” *The
Washington Post* (Nexis), June 2, 2017, p A03

So much for only needing a 90-day “temporary pause” in travel to the United
States from certain majority-Muslim countries while the administration
could formulate an “extreme vetting” process. As Sen. Ben Cardin quickly
pointed out to reporters, the president sabotaged his own court case, once
again making it clear he seeks to discriminate based on religion. “Trump’s
London attack,” *The Baltimore Sun* (Nexis), June 6, 2017, p A8

2012?  Composite (compound): formed from *extreme* (), as in .... (), +
*vetting* (), meaning “....”

*extreme-vetted*, *participial adj*. (*infrequent*): And that is why,
though I understand and respect the different decisions taken by my
colleagues in Labour, I could not agree to accept the passage of Article 50
and the one-way ticket I fear it represents to increased insecurity for my
constituents and my children, and worse, to the illiberal, intolerant,
extreme-vetted Britain that Nigel Farage and his Tory out-riders dream of
for our country.  “The bastards have won control of the Tory Party..
immigration has been used as a baseball bat to beat us with...,” *The New
European* [Norwich, Engl.] (Nexis), Feb. 9, 2017, p 7

*extreme vetter*, (): .........................

*extreme-vet*,  *v*,?  (): “In any event we are EXTREME VETTING people
coming into the U.S. in order to help keep our country safe,” Mr. Trump
wrote on Monday.  Adam Liptak and Peter Baker, “Trump Imperils Travel Ban
Case In Twitter Burst,” *The New York Times *(Nexis), June 6, 2017, p

A plan by President Donald Trump’s administration to “extreme vet” foreign
refugees entering the U.S. in the hundreds every week could include an
ideological test.  John Binder, “‘Extreme Vetting’ May Include Ideological
Test,” Breitbart.com (Google), April 6, 2017,

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/04/06/extreme-vetting-may-include-ideological-test/

This week, as most of you are undoubtedly aware, the GOP is trying to ram
through Trump’s cabinet picks without giving senators or the Office of
Government Ethics enough time or information to properly vet them, much
less “extreme” vet them.  “#ResistTrump: Call your senators TODAY about the
hasty, inadequate vetting of Trump’s cabinet picks,” *We Hunted the Mammoth
*(Google), Jan. 9, 2017,
http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2017/01/09/resisttrump-call-your-senators-today-about-the-hasty-inadequate-vetting-of-trumps-cabinet-picks/