[Ads-l] Bogus Poe attribution

Fri Jun 23 15:02:24 UTC 2017

Edgar Allan Poe did employ the saying in "The System of Doctor Tarr
and Professor Fether". Apparently, this story was published in
Graham's Magazine in November 1845.

[Begin excerpt]
'You are young yet, my friend,' replied my host, 'but the time will
arrive when you will learn to judge for yourself of what is going on
in the world without trusting to the gossip of others:--Believe
nothing you hear, and only one half that you see.
[End excerpt]

Garson