[Ads-l] Bogus Poe attribution

Fri Jun 23 15:28:08 UTC 2017

Edgar Allan Poe seems to be the leading candidate.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs (2003) has a pertinent entry:

[Begin excerpt]
BELIEVE nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see

Cf. a 1300 Proverbs of Alfred (1907) 35 Gin thu neuere leuen alle
monnis spechen, Ne alle the thinge that thu herest singen;

1770 C. CARROLL Letter 4 Sept. in Maryland Hist. Mag. (1918) XIII. 58
You must not take Everything to be true that is told to you.

1845 in Graham's Mag. Nov. 194 You are young yet .. but the time will
arrive when you will learn to judge for yourself … Believe nothing you
hear, and only one half that you see.
[End excerpt]

The first citation for the popular saying with "half" is from 1845. In
fact, that citation points to the story by Edgar Allan Poe.

HathiTrust has the November 1845 issue of Graham's Magazine. Here is a
link to the page of Poe's story containing the saying:

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/chi.29908254
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/chi.29908254?urlappend=%3Bseq=236

H. L. Mencken has an entry with an 1858 citation.

[ref] 1942, A New Dictionary of Quotations on Historical Principles
from Ancient and Modern Sources, Selected and Edited by H. L. Mencken
(Henry Louis Mencken)Section: Belief, Quote Page 96, Column 2, Alfred
A. Knopf. New York. (Verified on paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.
DINAH MULOCK CRAIK: A Woman's Thoughts, 1858 (Quoted as "a cynical saying")
[End excerpt]

Nigel Rees has also has an entry in "The Best Guide to Humorous
Quotations" (2011) with an 1858 citation

[Begin excerpt]
Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.
Anonymous. Quoted in Mrs (Dinah) Craik, A Woman’s Thoughts (1858).
[End excerpt]

Garson