[Ads-l] "Ich bin _ein_ Berliner" redux

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Mar 3 12:59:03 UTC 2017

Exactly. The addition of "ein" makes the phrase metaphorical. Also, Willy
Brandt, then mayor of Berlin and later chancellor of West Germany, reviewed
and practiced the line with Kennedy before the speech. He found no fault
with it.

Whether or not one includes the "ein" and what difference it makes varies
depending on the dialect. Bavarian German, for instance, would tend to
include the "ein" in all situations. The Berlin dialect makes the
literal/metaphorical distinction. Other dialects hardly ever use the "ein."

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Peter Reitan
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2017 12:50 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "Ich bin _ein_ Berliner" redux

>From the Atlantic:
Afterward it would be suggested that Kennedy had got the translation
wrong—that by using the article ein before the word Berliner, he had
mistakenly called himself a jelly doughnut. In fact, Kennedy was correct. To
state Ich bin Berliner would have suggested being born in Berlin, whereas
adding the word ein implied being a Berliner in spirit. His audience
understood that he meant to show his solidarity.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/08/the-real-meaning-of-ich
-bin-ein-berliner/309500/