[Ads-l] Saying: The test of a nation's civilization is its care of its weakest members.

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 14 21:29:49 UTC 2017

More from the late 19th century...

"Buddhism and Christianity," New Englander, Apr. 1874, p. 284
The true test of a civilization is in its elevation of the masses, its
exaltation of the average of the masses, its exaltation of the average man
in comfort, in culture, in morals; in all that makes a man.
https://books.google.com/books?id=wo8FAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA284

"The Next Step," Christian Union, Oct. 21, 1886, p. 3
The supreme test of a civilization is the manner in which it treats its
weak and helpless subjects.
https://books.google.com/books?id=3b1NAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA163

Women are also used as the civilizational test...

"Colliers and Collieries," The American Eclectic, Sep. 1842, p. 330
[From the Quarterly Review, June 1842]
The state of women is the true test of civilization in every community.
https://books.google.com/books?id=FYJHAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA330

"The Burden-Bearers of the Old World," The Ladies' Repository, Jan. 1875,
p. 50
Indeed, we are accustomed in some measure, to gauge the Christianity of a
country by the way it treats its women.
https://books.google.com/books?id=CCNLAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA50