[Ads-l] "to ping"

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Mar 31 01:34:24 UTC 2017

I bow to Wilson's recollection here--I don't have the time at the moment to investigate, but I suspect that the UNIX use comes originally from the submariner's use, which is probably onomatopoetic.

I did just check the OED, which doesn't have that sense (although it does have the sense of 'the sound of a piston misfiring').

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259
On Half-time: Generally not in office on Monday or Fridays but I do read email.
Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:10 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "to ping"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>
wrote:

> I assume the etymology is from the old UNIX command, which puts it back i=
> the pleistocene era (in computer years).

No doubt, but non-techies like me are most familiar with the term from
"piniging" our ISP=E2=80=99s as part of a speed-check. There. I=E2=80=99ve =
just pinged my
ISP - a local, semi-buttocked operation call "PennTeleData - and the
response has taken 0.19 sec.

FWIW, I connect this political kind of "ping" with using sonar to ping the
potential target of a submarine in order to determine its position, so as
to know how a spread of torpedoes needs to be aimed in order to hit that
target, hence, metaphorically, to use sonar to determine the direction in
which a politician needs to aim his rhetoric in order to hit his target
demographic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DeKkUCNMrv1M
--=20
-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...