[Ads-l] It was not permitted to pass.

Mon May 22 21:12:29 UTC 2017

I'm baffled.
On Sunday I tried sending you folks a note about Yankee Doodle, with
downloads attached of three articles from  the Early American Newspapers
database.  The system told me that the message had not gone through,
because of the attachments.  I had anticipated that, and had cc'd JL and
Joel B.
The first of them was an 1768 passage identical to the 1768 passage taken
by the OED from a secondary, mid-19th C, source in its entry on Yankee
Doodle.  The third of the items was a letter/essay signed Shellahnagig,
which the OED has first from 1844.  All three were reprinted from English
sources.

Now Wilson's note is responding to a note to me from JL, cc'd to ADS-L.
Does this mean that somehow the forbidden downloads snuck through with his
reply?

If not, I would be pleased to get instructions on how to fool the system.
Failing that, I will forward the passages, or just the 3rd of them, to
whoever will ask for them.

GAT

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
> Perhaps you've observed that the OED def. is, shall we say, very discreet.
>
> About as discreet as the version now used by Starbucks. Apparently, they
> had no idea at all what that image was a symbol of. There are also
> continental variants. I came across it first in the journal, _Via Domitia_,
> noted as a former or a current feature of the exterior and the interior -
> on finials of pews, etc. - of churches in the Midi.
>
> The original version used by Starbucks is below, if the system permits it
> to pass.
>
> http://idsgn.org/posts/starbucks-reveals-new-logo-drops-wordmark/
>
> --
> -Wilson
> -----
> -Mark Twain
>
> --
> -Wilson
> -----
> -Mark Twain

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- affectionately (of course) also known as The Dunghill
Toadstool.  (Here's a picture of one.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851