[Ads-l] Voice-over heard: "Help will come too late...

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sat May 27 16:57:07 UTC 2017

The use of 'No I never' to mean indignant denial was common among vernacular Canadian English speakers in the fifties and sixties (nineteen fifties, that is). I can recall confrontations between teachers and classmates in Toronto involving that verbiage.

Guess I was doing participant observation before I could even spell it.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259
On Half-time: Generally not in office on Monday or Fridays but I do read email.
Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 5:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Voice-over heard: "Help will come too late...

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Of course, some of these (from Jespersen 1917: 17-18) are now rather
> archaic.

Nevertheless, it's more than I knew, before.

BTW, I've begun to notice this use of _never_ among black speakers on
reality TV, where it's not possible that the black speaker is following a
script written by a white speaker, here of late. Back in the day in StL,
"no, I never" vs. "no, I didn't" was as much of a distinguishing feature as
"youse/youse" vs. "you/y'all."

--
-Wilson
-----

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...