[Ads-l] Miranda and the Louisiana Lawyer Dog: a case of talking while black

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 6 22:58:55 UTC 2017

I would have had the sense to ask for a "loyuh, _suh_."

The 'Sixties are over.

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Baron, Dennis E <debaron at illinois.edu>
wrote:

> As promised, here’s my post on the Louisiana lawyer dog Black English case:
>

> Talking while black cost Warren Demesme his Miranda rights in Louisiana.
>
> In a 6-1 decision, on Oct. 27 the Louisiana Supreme Court refused to hear
> an appeal by Warren N. Demesme, in jail in Orleans Parish since January of
> the previous year while he awaits trial on a count of first degree rape and
> another of “sexual misconduct with a juvenile under the age of thirteen.”
> During questioning Demesme confessed, but he later asked the court to throw
> out that confession because police ignored his request for an attorney, one
> of the “Miranda” rights guaranteed by the Sixth Amendment.
>
> The court is not required to explain why it refused to hear the appeal,
> but in order “to spotlight the very important constitutional issue
> regarding the invocation of counsel during a law enforcement interview,”
> Scott J. Crichton, one of the court’s judges, wrote in a concurrence<
> https://www.lasc.org/opinions/2017/17KK0954.sjc.addconc.pdf> that police
> did not have to stop their questioning after Demesme’s request because he
> asked for a “lawyer dog,” not a lawyer. . .
>
> Read the rest of the post on the Web of Language:
> bit.ly/<http://bit.ly/>2zdTCfU

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain