[Ads-l] Meaningless "so" at start of reply sentence

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 12 23:46:39 UTC 2017

I either mentioned this or intended to mention it a few years ago when I
first heard it.

A state archaeologist in Colorado began conversing with me by saying "so."
It seemed weird.

But cf. the frequent incipit of jokes:

"So a billionaire, five sex workers, and a spy walk into a hotel room..."

For some reason, the syn.transitional "so anyway" doesn't sound nearly as
weird.

JL