[Ads-l] Does anyone out there know Finnish?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 24 03:50:04 UTC 2017

If the multiple reports available on the web are accurate (modulo the evanescent umlaut), _kalsarikännit_ (or perhaps _kalsarikannit_) is the Finnish word for getting drunk alone in one’s underwear:

https://www.vogue.com/article/finnish-trend-kalsarikannit-vogue-archive
http://www.travelandleisure.com/culture-design/kalsarikannit-new-hygge
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/style/thanksgiving-couch-potato-fashion.html

Can anyone provide a morph-by-morph gloss of this lexical item, and confirm that the above translation is indeed accurate?  This is such a important concept that I think it’s important to know whether we finally have a univerbation for expressing it.

LH