[Ads-l] Does anyone out there know Finnish?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 24 04:05:12 UTC 2017

Google Translate: underweardrunk

Microsoft Translator: underpants to get drunk

That's close enough for government work! I'm a believer.

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> If the multiple reports available on the web are accurate (modulo the
> evanescent umlaut), _kalsarikännit_ (or perhaps _kalsarikannit_) is the
> Finnish word for getting drunk alone in one’s underwear:
>
> https://www.vogue.com/article/finnish-trend-kalsarikannit-vogue-archive
> http://www.travelandleisure.com/culture-design/kalsarikannit-new-hygge
> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/style/thanksgiving-
> couch-potato-fashion.html
>
> Can anyone provide a morph-by-morph gloss of this lexical item, and
> confirm that the above translation is indeed accurate?  This is such a
> important concept that I think it’s important to know whether we finally
> have a univerbation for expressing it.
>
> LH

-Wilson
-----