[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] "Niger" or "Niger"?

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 20 01:21:42 UTC 2017

Niger [naɪˈdʒɛɚ]
A conflict of Anglophilic [ˈnaɪdʒɚ, NIGH-zhr] vs. Francophilic [niˈʒɛɚ,
knee-ZHAIR]:  [naɪdʒ- + -ˈɛɚ]
Martha MacCallum {mwf 53 (b.19640131), NY & NJ; B.A. PoliSci}
"The Story with Martha MacCallum", FoxNews 20171019.

Wikipedia:
Niger (The Republic of the Niger)
<Niger> /ˈnaɪdʒər/ ~ /niːˈʒɛər/; French [niʒɛʁ].

<The Niger River> /ˈnaɪdʒər/; French: <(le) fleuve Niger> [(lə) flœv niʒɛʁ].
<Nigeria> /naɪˈdʒɪəriə/ ; Fr <Le Nigéria>.

*****
Actually, I was recently teaching my own kids that there were three
countries to be distinguished. So I went up to my board room map and
pointed out Nigeria and Niger [NIGH-zhr], but could not for the life of me
find Nigère [knee-ZHAIR]. My brain had tried to accommodate the buzz on the
airwaves, and came up with an extra African country. Martha MacCallum came
up with a fourth. Life was so simple in my 1950s geography classes. You pc
guys are jist messin' wif us. And it's THE Niger, you inarticulate
whippersnappers, attempting another deconstructive disarticulation.

Seems that [eye-RAN] & [eye-WRACK] are making a comeback. Things are
looking up on those fronts.