[Ads-l] Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name--trying again

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Aug 14 18:52:41 UTC 2018

Thanks for the explanations.

I assume it’s a matter of particular settings in the ADS-L listserv setup, because the other half dozen or so other listservs I read daily do not have these effects on the text. In particular, they don’t balk at line lengths of varying sorts and actually accept Unicode characters (several of them have linguists on them).

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
geoffnathan at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Andy Bach <afbach at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:04:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name--trying again

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Andy Bach <afbach at GMAIL.COM>

> not sure why the listserv software insists on breaking URL's with an
equal sign, but I'm now trying using 'plain text'.

Because there is a hard line length limit in email, so depending upon the
client, lines over 70 (85?) chars w/o a space will get broken with equal
signs and, again dependent upon the client, not put back together again.

>As we have noted on occasion, the listserv software mungs some people's
email by inserting control characters, while others are left unadorned.

This is probably due to different character sets being used - fancy clients
(like OutLook) may use Unicode or specialized char. sets that either fails
at the list serve process or in individual's clients.

> but I'm now trying using 'plain text'.
Probably the best option.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 11:31 AM Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>
wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_P6M_SeaMaster#/media/File:Martin_P6M_Seamaster_in_flight_c1955.jpg
>
> vs
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Roadmaster#/media/File:1936BuickSedan.jpg
>

> (not sure why the listserv software insists on breaking URL's with an
> equal sign, but I'm now trying using 'plain text'. As we have noted on
> occasion, the listserv software mungs some people's email by inserting
> control characters, while others are left unadorned.)
>
> Geoff
>

>  Geoffrey S. Nathan
>  WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
>  Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
>  http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
>
>  geoffnathan at wayne.edu
>
>  Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it
> to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email  looks.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk