[Ads-l] Heard on the Maury show

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 19 20:50:20 UTC 2018

Maury:
"Do you think that your sister's boyfriend has been cheating on her with
other women?"

20-ishblack, female guest:
"*Yes*, Murray*! I _*does*_ think that my _sister's_ boyfriend _has_ been
cheating on her with other women!"

My WAG: the unexpected use of _does_ in this case is some kind of
hypercorrection triggered by quoting Maury's words, since the use of
_sister's_ and _has_ instead of _sister_ and _have_ is as anomalous as the
use of _does_. I.e. "... my sister boyfriend have ..." is expected.

*_Murray_: the usual pronunciation of "Maury" by the overwhelming majority
of black guests and by  some white guests.

--
-Wilson
-----