[Ads-l] to troll =? take the mickey

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 12 20:03:40 UTC 2018

The use of the indefinite article seems odd to me. If it was just once, I would write it off as inaccurate reporting, but GO'T has two such citations plus one with the definite article. It seems odd for “take the piss” to result in indefinite article usage.

Although I have found some additional material for “mick” and “micky”, I found no evidence to tie them to this expression.

“To take the Michael” (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_the_Michael <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_the_Michael>, https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/to-take-the-michael.82813/ <https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/to-take-the-michael.82813/>) is an alternative to “to take the mickey”; however, I found no such citation in Google Books for the nineteenth century even with the indefinite article. Perhaps a periodical search would be more productive.

“A Glossary of Words Used in the Neighbourhood of Sheffield, Volume 22, Issue 1” (https://bit.ly/2metQSM <https://bit.ly/2metQSM>) by Sidney Oldall Addy has “micky” as “dull, pale-faced” with an example of the face of someone who had been drinking the previous night, and the HDAS has “bottle of liquor” for “mickey” and “liquor flask” for “Michael", which could be related to Michael Bliss and his bar-room brawl.

FWIW:
The HDAS has penis and potato (is this in reference to the Great Famine?) for “mickey", and gives “mick” as a Roman Catholic though with only one citation.

The HDAS gives “mick” as a hypocoristic of Michael as well as “mickey” to mean an Irish person, and has “take the mickey out of” as “to tease or mock” with the label of “perh. sugg. by Irish”.

The HDAS entry for “Irish” has: ire; (hence) fighting spirit, esp. in an Irish person. Examples begin with 1834: It raised the Irish in my pretty quick.

“A Glossary of Words Used in the Neighbourhood of Sheffield also defines “mike” as “a rest, a respite from work”, which is surely unrelated.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA