[Ads-l] Heard: dialogue

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 2 18:48:03 UTC 2018

I've always considered "me, three" and "third the motion" to be jocular
expressions. But, between you-all and I, people who use "between [...] and
I" are fully persuaded that that is the correct, proper-English
construction, "seem like to me," as those good folks who come from home
say. Of course, people who use "between [...] and I" may also be just
kidding, as the case, here.

Youneverknow.

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 1:09 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
> wrote:

> John Baker wrote:
> > I certainly remember kids saying this c. 1970.  Also, “I third the
> motion.”
>
> Below is an instance from 1833 of "Me too" followed by "Me three". The
> beginning of the article states that the text was copied "from a late
> New York paper"; hence, an earlier citation probably exists.
>
> I searched the Oxford English Dictionary and did not find a phrase
> entry for "me three". There are 47 matches in the quotes, but none
> seems pertinent.
>
> Date: July 26, 1833
> Newspaper: North Carolina Sentinel (Newbern Sentinel)
> Newspaper Location: New Bern, North Carolina
> Article: Black Hawk
> Quote Page 1, Column 3
> Database: Newspapers.com
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> Belinda, (sighing). —"Oh that heaven had made me such a man," as
> Shakespeare says.
>
> Arabella.—And me two, Belinda.
>
> Amelia. And me three, Arabella. Only see him walk—what a majestic gait he
> has!
> [End excerpt]
>
> Garson

-Wilson