[Ads-l] Baba

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 4 16:57:19 UTC 2018

From my quick search on the original article (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/24/books/trans-lit-transgender-novels.html <https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/24/books/trans-lit-transgender-novels.html>), it seems that it does not discuss the origin of “baba.”

Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/baba <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/baba>) provides several languages that might be the origin:

• father: Arabic, Western Armenian, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Greek, Marathi, Nepali, Persian, Swahili, Turkish, Yoruba, Shona, Zulu
• grandmother: many Slavic languages (such as Bulgarian, Russian, Czech and Polish), Yiddish, Japanese
• grandfather: Azerbaijani

It also has:

• (esp. among people of East European ancestry) A grandmother.
• An old woman, especially a traditional old woman from an eastern European culture.
• (esp. among people of Indian ancestry) A father.
• (Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism) A holy man, a spiritual leader.

The English OLD (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/baba <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/baba>) offers “father” or “holy man” as coming from Urdu.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA