[Ads-l] "Only When I Laugh!"

Sat Nov 10 22:04:02 UTC 2018

Interesting topic, JL. Excellent citations, SG and JL. Here is an
instance in a Scottish newspaper in December 1939. The anecdote
concerns soldiers of an "earlier generation" fighting in Africa.

Date: December 16, 1939
Newspaper: The Falkirk Herald
Newspaper County: Stirlingshire, Scotland
Article: Courage (Filler Item)
Quote Page 6, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
One the grizzled type of real old soldiers was talking to some young
Militiamen. He was endeavouring to impress upon them how tough were
the men of an earlier generation who fought the dusky warriors of
darkest Africa.
. . .
Yes, they were tough! The day came when the British soldiers were
fighting a desperate rearguard action. One of their number was soon
pinned to the ground by an assegai. Does it hurt much, mate?” inquired
his colleagues. "Only when I laughs,” replied the stricken soldier.
[End excerpt]

Garson