[Ads-l] choke up =? emotional

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 10 18:22:55 UTC 2018

Here is Naomi Osaka saying “Your question making me emotional” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHP603v4qo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHP603v4qo>, 8:50) after which she has to pause in her response several times to stifle tears.

Looking back over this thread (not all emails quoted below), it seems that “emotional” is used primarily to refer to situations where you are choked up (“verklempt" as Ben Zimmer pointed out in this thread), but not overcome with other emotions such as awe, gratitude, horror, resentment, shyness or surprise, to name a few from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion>.

M-W meaning three with “emotional sermon” might go beyond the scope of verklempt, but it seems unlikely that “emotional” can refer to simply any emotion.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA