[Ads-l] boof

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 18:29:41 UTC 2018

> Within the last hour, Judge Kavanaugh has explained that "boufed" in his
yearbook was a "reference to flatulence."

Having graduated H.S. in '77 I will say that the phrase "Have you boofed
yet?" seems really unlikely to refer to boofu-ing.   I mean, admittedly,
usage in his fancy east coast H.S. might be different, but was it some sort
of contest to see who could find a partner willing to boof with them? Or,
was it a daily occurrence, as in "have you showered yet?".   I'd have to go
with it being just the more juvenile "flatulence".

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:20 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Within the last hour, Judge Kavanaugh has explained that "boufed" in his
> yearbook was a "reference to flatulence."
>
> And "The Devil's Triangle" was a "drinking game" like "quarters" with three
> drinks arranged in a triangle.
>
> "FFFFF" poked fun at a classmate who liked to emphasize his uses of the
> F-word with a prolonged labiodental sound.
>

> JL
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 4:16 PM Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Vox just released an article on the word “boof”:
> >
> > Brett Kavanaugh’s yearbook: the “boof” joke, explained
> > Alex Abad-Santos
> >

> https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/27/17905818/brett-kavanaughs-yearbook-boof
> > <
> >
> https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/27/17905818/brett-kavanaughs-yearbook-boof
> > >

> > The story has anecdotal citations, including a claim that “boof” < bu-fu
> <
> > butt fuck.
> >
> > Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/boof <
> > https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/boof>) does not adequately cover this
> > term, and the English OLD and HDAS do not list it.
> >
> > In the ADS archives, Barry Popik has a 2000 citation for “to boof”
> meaning
> > to anally conceal:
> >
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2000-December/010934.html
> > <
> >
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2000-December/010934.html
> > >

> > Two other mentions of “boof” in the archives:
> > http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2007-August/073314.html
> <
> > http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2007-August/073314.html
> >
> > http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2007-August/073396.html