[Ads-l] heme, hemeburger

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 2 17:55:46 UTC 2019

"Heme" makes an appearance in Kory Stamper's great Boston Globe piece last
November on futuristic food names...

----
https://apps.bostonglobe.com/ideas/graphics/2018/11/the-next-bite/the-marketers/
More familiar are the plant-based meats. The Impossible Burger and Beyond
Burger are two well-known examples, and they are different from the veggie
burgers of yore by acting as close to beef as possible. Both burgers
"bleed" and "sizzle" when cooked and are proclaimed "juicy" when eaten. The
Impossible Burger uses a plant-derived compound called "heme" to make its
burger beef-like; heme is a component of hemoglobin, which is what makes
our blood red. Vegetarians may squirm at marketing materials that use
images of beefy-looking sandwiches - and even of cows, in the Beyond
Burger's case - but perhaps vegetarians aren't the only target.
----