[Ads-l] Things That Go Bump in the Night

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 18 15:57:47 UTC 2019

"Frae" is also Scots.

If "ghosties" was originally "ghaisties," the rhythmic lines could include
a rhyme :

"Frae ghoulies and ghaisties,
Lang-leggity beasties,
An' things that gae bump in the nicht,
Guid Lord deliver us."

However, the Dictionary of the Scots Language has no entry for "ghoulie" or
"long/lang -leggity," and no exx. of "ghaistie" till 1979 !

JL