[Ads-l] "oops" history

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 26 21:22:59 UTC 2019

My Wall Street Journal column this week is about the history of the
interjection "oops." (Apologies for the paywall.)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oops-explanations-get-slippery-for-what-we-say-when-we-stumble-11564160428

The impetus for the column is an article by Raymond Malewitz in the Summer
2019 issue of Critical Inquiry, which conjectures that "oops" grew out of a
gradual shortening of "ooperzootic," a slang term for a fit of craziness
that plays off of "epizootic," referring to a flu outbreak among horses in
the late 19th century.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/703961
https://today.oregonstate.edu/news/origin-word-‘oops’

The evidence supporting this theory is rather thin (lacking much in the way
of intermediary forms like "ooper"). Then again, the prevailing explanation
for the origin of "oops," that it's a shortening of "upsidaisy" (in turn
from "up-a-daisy"), doesn't have a whole lot of evidence to back it up
either.

The current earliest cite in OED3 for "oops" comes from a 1921 horse-racing
column in the Washington Post, which uses "oops, muh dear" in a discussion
of a horse named My Dear:

1921   Washington Post 1 Nov. 21/4   Oops, muh dear, it's in the last where
the dirty work takes place.

Malewitz takes this as evidence of an equine connection, but I don't think
the columnist had "ooperzootic"/"epizootic" in mind -- rather, this is an
allusion to the 1910 song, "Whoops, My Dear."

https://repository.asu.edu/items/29584
http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu/cdm/ref/collection/fa-spnc/id/135052

The first verse goes:

"Georgie was a dainty youth, well known for miles around.
Up on the street both night and day, he always could be found.
With his natty little cane and flaming crimson tie
When he'd come strolling down the lane, you'd loudly hear him cry, 'Whoops,
my dear.'"

This was a popular song, and "whoops, my dear" (and variants) took on
various slang connotations, typically related to dandyism or homosexuality.
It seems that Collyer, inspired by the horse's name My Dear, was playfully
taking on the voice of a dandy as in the song. See this blog post for more
on the phrase:

http://everydayheterosexism.blogspot.com/2017/04/whoops-my-dear-evolution-of-homophobic.html