[Ads-l] the Good News Bad News joke routine

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 28 06:48:16 UTC 2019

>From the Cincinnati Enquirer, October 11, 1942, section 3, page 7, Syd Skolsky's Hollywood, crediting a cartoon in the Mexican magazine, Rumbo.
"What's new?"
"I have some good news and some bad news."
"What's the good news?"
"Hitler has been murdered."
"And what's the bad news?"
"The news that Hitler was murdered is not true."

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/33321046/the_cincinnati_enquirer/

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 11:02:58 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: the Good News Bad News joke routine

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

The English StackExchange article that Benjamin helpfully pointed to
has a section titled:
'I have some good news and some bad news' as a joke setup

The earliest citation in the section is dated 1966. Here is an
instance that fits the joke template in 1960. I omitted a few
sentences from the excerpt below. Please follow the link to read the
full text of the joke, if you are interested.