[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: A good loser is no good (Robert Zuppke Nov 6, 1924) (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Jun 28 18:09:02 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

_Cincinnati Post_ 8 May 1911 p 6 col 3

""[Cincinnati Reds manager Clark] Griffith is a prince among managers," said Harry Gaspar while playing hearts after breakfast this morning.  "I have never worked for a better manager, and never want to.  He is a hard loser, and that is one reason I admire him.  Show me a good loser and I will show you a darn fool." "

There are interviews with Griffith in the 4/21/1907 Washington DC Evening Star and the 1/30/1909 Denver Post where he talks about being a hard loser, and that being a good loser is not necessarily a good thing, but they don't have the thought expressed pithily.  So I suspect that Gaspar is indirectly quoting Griffith above.