[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: A good loser is no good (Robert Zuppke Nov 6, 1924) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Jun 28 19:42:42 UTC 2019

Thanks Bill. I updated the article to include the citation you found
and added an acknowledgement:

[Begin acknowledgement]
Special thanks to Bill Mullins who located the May 8, 1911 citation.
[End acknowledgement]

Changes on the website sometimes take a few hours to propagate.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/06/27/good-loser/

I also added a 1911 citation expressing a distinct viewpoint:

[Begin excerpt]
There is a natural tension between being a "good loser" and a "hard
loser". Yet, the writer Robert Haven Schauffler believed that the two
types of losers could be combined as indicated in his article titled
"What Is Sportsmanship?" in "The Outlook" in November 1911:

[Begin nested quotation]
Though the sportsman is a good loser, however, he is a precious hard
loser. He battles till the last trench. He never says die.
[End nested quotation]
[End excerpt]

Garson

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 2:09 PM MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY
CCDC AVMC (USA) <0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu>