[Ads-l] "making due"

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 3 17:45:39 UTC 2019

> the Eggcorn Database (if it belongs), but three browsers warned me it was
not secure to go there.

Their https certificate expired yesterday.  That means it's probably safe
to go there, though.  If anybody knows the admin, they may want to try and
contact them.  Using the google
site:eggcorns.lascribe.net "making due"

seems to show this is *not* in that db yet this google
site:eggcorns.lascribe.net "make due"

gets a number hits (you can safely view them by clicking the the triangle
and choose "cached"), including Arnold Zwicky's 2005 entry:
Spotted in the wild:

   - “Two San Mateo County public employees… were lucky enough to not miss
   a single paycheck [while serving on the Scott Peterson jury], while other
   jurors would have had to make due with with a $15 a day court
stipend…” *(Palo
   Alto Daily News, 15 December 2004, p. 4)*
   - “My sister is famous for last minute appearances but since she comes
   so rarely we make due and I need to capture her for some serious
   discussions…” *(cited by Mark Mandel on ADS-L, 29 January 2005)*
   - “With Floyd batting .391, the Mets have been able to make due with
   Mike Piazza batting .198.” *(Lee Jenkins, "Mets on Edge Show Precision
   When It Matters", NYT, 5/5/05, D3, cited by Larry Horn on ADS-L, 5 May
   2005)*
   - “Cities trying to figure out how to make due with less by Tom
   Robertson, Minnesota Public Radio February 21, 2003″ *(link
   <http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2003/02/21_robertsont_lgacuts/>)*
   - Yes, I know that 5/8 of the league will be sitting at home with their
   hands in their pockets, but for the remaining teams that are in the
   Playoffs it is due-or-die time. *(eNFL bulletin board
   <http://tredsoft.com/eNFL/viewtopic.php?p=487>, Nov. 21, 2003)*
   - Today was due or die day, as I had to get Chapter 3 of my contract
   project down to the boss. *(Eclectic Everyday blog
   <http://eclecticeveryday.blogspot.com/2004/10/for-someone-who-has-trouble-with.html>,
   Oct. 21, 2004)*
   - Overall that placed them 5th in the league meaning that they will face
   the number four ranked UCCB Capers on Friday in a due or die match.
*(Memorial
   Univ. of Newfoundland Athletics
   <http://www.mun.ca/athletics/main/weekendpreview/view.php?id=267>, Nov. 3,
   2004)*

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:21 AM Stephen Goranson <goranson at duke.edu> wrote:

> This may already be in the Eggcorn Database (if it belongs), but three
> browsers warned me it was not secure to go there.
>
> New York Times Tues. Oct. 1 page C4 (cont. from C1) by Wesley Morris on
> Gwyneth Paltrow:
> "I, at least, had trouble making due with her alongside Robert Downey
> Jr.'s Iron Man, playing Pepper Potts, his assistant [etc.]
>
> SG

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell