[Ads-l] another, earlier Cowabunga

Tue Jan 28 00:33:33 UTC 2020

Eddie Kean preferred to spell the exclamation with an "o" instead of
"u", e.g., "cowabonga" (as JL and Stephen noted). Here is an entry
dated July 12, 1955 that appeared in a catalog of U.S. copyright
entries for unpublished music.

Year: 1956
Title: Catalog of Copyright Entries: Unpublished Music
Series 3, Volume 9, Part 5b, Number 2
Date Range: July to December 1955
Quote Page 476, Column 3
Publisher; Copyright Office. The Library of Congress, Washington D.C.
Database: HathiTrust
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015039642080?urlappend=%3Bseq=459
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015039642080?urlappend=%3Bseq=496

[Begin excerpt]
COWABONGA; English w & m Marshall
Barer & Alec Wilder © Children's
Songs, Inc. 12Jul55 EU403766
COWBOYBLUES; w & m Robert
[End excerpt]

YouTube has an audio track and still picture for "A Howdy Doody
Record" titled "COWABONGA AND BIG CHIEF". The small type at the bottom
of the image lists the year 1955 and the performers: Chief
Thunderthud, Princess Summerfall Winterspring, and Mitchell Miller and
Orchestra. The lyrics repeat the term many times.

YouTube Video Title: Chief Thunderthud - Cowabonga
Uploaded on Jul 11, 2015
Uploaded by boyjohn
Accessed on youtube.com on Jan 26 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imfy5Cg_smQ

YouTube has a video interview with Eddie Kean during which he talks
about the term.

YouTube Video Title: Writer Eddie Kean on the origin of "Cowabunga" on
The Howdy Doody Show
Uploaded on Aug 23, 2010
Uploaded by: FoundationINTERVIEWS
Accessed on youtube.com on Jan 26 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD5xsTRWBZE

Here is a clip from the "Howdy Doody Show" during which Chief
Thunderthud uses the expression several times.

YouTube Video Title: Howdy Doody Show 1950s
Uploaded on Sep 6, 2009
Uploaded by bearlyrufus
Accessed on youtube.com on Jan 26 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8jL7j9_WA

Here is a newspaper article from 1987 containing claims about the
preferred spelling.