[Ads-l] Family of sayings: The lay-offs / firings / floggings/ beatings will continue until morale improves

Thu Jul 16 08:26:04 UTC 2020

Thanks for your response, Mark.
Yes, the phrases "pour encourager les autres" and "to encourage the
others" have both achieved some popularity in English language
documents. I plan to post a separate brief article centered on
Voltaire's quotation.

The Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for the French phrase that
mentions "Candide" in the etymological note.

[Begin excerpt]
pour encourager les autres, phr.
Origin: A borrowing from French. Etymon: French pour encourager les autres.
Etymology: < French pour encourager les autres (1759: see note) <
French pour for, in order to (see pur- prefix) + encourager encourage
v. + les , plural definite article + autres , plural of autre other
(see nous autres pron.).
Originally with reference to the execution of Admiral John Byng in
1757; compare:
1759   Voltaire Candide xxiii. 212   Il est bon de tuer de tems en
tems un Amiral pour encourager les autres.

Of a punishment or sacrifice: as an example to others; to encourage or
deter others. Now chiefly in extended and weakened uses.

[1768   J. Courtenay Remarks on Pamphlet entitled Mirror 7   The
British Admiral was shot, as a Frenchman humourously expressed it,
pour encourager les autres.]
1804   Duke of Wellington Dispatches (1844) II. 1032   The destruction
of the band is complete, but I wished to hang some of their chiefs,
pour encourager les autres.
[End excerpt]

Garson