[Ads-l] gamma squeeze

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Feb 1 22:44:45 UTC 2021

Well, the OED’s definition of to sell short, “to effect a sale of stock or goods which the seller does not at the time possess,” is correct if you understand “possess” to mean “own.”  As Dan points out, usually a stock is borrowed and delivered to the buyer; while this is not definitionally required for a short sale, it is a legal requirement of American securities trading.  If you understand “possess” to mean to hold without necessarily having beneficial ownership, then the definition is incorrect.

It is the particular shares sold short that the seller must not own.  The short seller may in fact own fungible shares of the security and class that are sold short, but nevertheless deliver borrowed shares rather than those that the seller owns.  This is known as a short sale against the box.  There are various reasons why a short seller might do this.  For example, a broker that wishes to make a market in the security may need to own shares in order to be a market maker, but does not actually have any interest in ownership of the stock.  A short sale against the box will allow it to have shares for trading purposes while having a net neutral position.  Most commonly, however, this is done for tax reasons.

The requirement to borrow and deliver shares that are sold short explains how GameStop could have aggregate short interest equal to 140% of the public float.  The buyer of borrowed shares receives shares exactly like any other outstanding shares and has no idea whether the seller delivered borrowed shares or not.  Accordingly, there is no problem with the buyer lending these shares out to short sellers, so the same shares can be sold short multiple times.

John Baker

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of Dan Goncharoff
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 4:21 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: gamma squeeze

Just thought I would point out that the definition of selling short in the
OED is not strictly correct -- most of the time you borrow the stock to
deliver.

Also, if delta is not in the OED, it probably should be, since it has
become a common term in talking about anything with an option component,
and lots of things do. Perhaps gamma has arrived also, but I think it's too
early. Most people who talk about gamma don't really understand it.