[Ads-l] antedating "ish kabibble"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 19 00:53:43 UTC 2021

A popular song called Ish Ga Bibble was published in 1913.  I've wrote
about it in my RealAlfredE blog.

https://therealalfrede.blogspot.com/2013/03/what-me-worry-isch-ka-bibble-and-alfred.html

The US was in the middle of the "I should worry!" craze.  "I should
worry" was said questioningly, to mean the exact opposite - "what? I
should worry?"  Imagine Billy Crystal in the Princess Bride.

"Ish Ga Bibble" was intended to be a fun way to express the same thing.

Sample Lyrics:
I never care or worry
Isch Gabibble - Isch Gabibble
I never tear or hurry
Isch Gabibble - Isch Gabibble
. . . .
I should worry if they steal my wife
And let a pimple grow on my young life
Isch Gabibble - I should worry?
No! Not me!

An explanation in 1914 claimed that a songwriter overheard the Yiddish
phrase "nisch gefiddelt" in a vaudeville show, which supposedly had a
similar meaning as "I should worry," misunderstood the pronunciation and
wrote the song.

Whether any of that is true or not is another story, but the song
appears to be when the word became widely used.

The "I should worry" craze influenced the later adoption of "What - me
worry" as the slogan for Alfred E. Neuman on Mad Magazine.  A 1914
poster by Harry Stuff used an Alfred-like image with the question, "Me -
worry?"  Years later when the Mad Magazine people found a postcard with
that image, they borrowed it and the expression for their magazine.