[Ads-l] equine eggcorn

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 25 21:13:28 UTC 2021

> On Feb 25, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Laurence. In one of the early posts to this thread, perhaps the
> initial one, I was unable to decipher the mention of "wh" vs. "h" (as I
> believe it was phrased) till I eventually got to the explicit expansion of
> the expressions.
>
> MAM

The conversation between the two coffee-shop workers in the CBC skit was deliberately cryptic, the point (or a point) being that one of the women was extremely naive and the other was familiar with, but extremely uncomfortable with, the expression ("whore’s bath”) involved, whence the indirection.  And in response to Chris Waigl’s point, neither the characters nor writers of the show nor I were endorsing the underlying misogyny.

LH