[Ads-l] equine eggcorn

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY DEVCOM AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Feb 25 23:25:42 UTC 2021

>  Maybe the gentlemen might consider, when discussing in-your-face
>  misogynistic language, to add a little something that makes it clear to the
>  reader that they're aware of the nature of the terminology that's being
>  looked at.
>
> Or else please be explicit about the kind of conversational climate you
>  favor.
>
>  (The same applies to other forms of verbal violence of course.)

The kind of conversational climate I favor is one in which terms such as these
can be discussed and the default assumption on the part of the readers and list
members is that the speakers are fully aware of the baggage the terms carry.

A suggestion that one would need to make that clear, or that the participants of
this particular discussion might somehow be unaware that "whore" is offensive
in use to many, is just a little troublesome, in and of itself.