[Ads-l] mouth organ, harmonicon, harmonica

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 19 13:25:01 UTC 2021

1

It appears that a simple predecessor of the modern harmonica was called the
"aeolina" (OED: 1829), and that the word "harmonica" is borrowed from
German:

1829 _Boston Traveler_ (March 17) 1: THE AEOLINA.--An elegant and very
simple mode of producing delightful musical sounds. [The description speaks
of a metal "plate" and blown "springs."]

1830 _Daily Chronicle_ (Phila.) (Feb. 8) 3:  HARMONICA, or AEOLINA   A
further supply of this new and popular musical instrument, in a great
variety of forms, received and for sale.

1830  _Evening Post_ [N.Y.] (Feb. 9) 2: The newly introduced musical toy,
called the _Aeolina_ or _Mund harmonica_.

1830 _National Gazette and Literary Register_ [Phila.] (Feb. 12) 2:
Instructions for the Aeolina, or Wind Harmonica, with a selection of
popular melodies.

1830 _N.Y, American_ (Feb. 16) 1: Bourne, in Broadway,...has also a book
out on the _Aeolina_, a new sort of mouth harp, with instructions for its
use, and music adapted to its compass.

2
Note the above use of "mouth harp" (OED: 1876). Cf.:

1831 _Pittsfield [Mass.] Sun_  (Feb. 3) 1: A gentleman, among a set of
hunters at grass, in a park belonging to the Duke of Buccleugh, tried the
effect of a small musical instrument called the mouth Aeolian harp. The
horses...followed the musician.

3
These seem to be true modern harmonicas (alias "French harps"):

1865 _Daily Inter-Ocean_ (Sept. 16) 3:  The shrill strains of the
mouth-harp mingled with the roll of the drum.

1868 _Weekly Rescue_ (Sacramento, Cal.) 2: Master Frank Palmer, a lad ten
or twelve summers old, ...played the Cincinnati hornpipe on the mouth harp,
and played the bones at the same time with the left hand.

1869 _Cairo [Ill.] Bulletin_ (Sept. 23) 1: The instruments used were a
single octave French mouth harp and a wheezy old hand organ.

"Mouth harp" (in whatever senses) becomes relatively frequent in the 1870s.

4
OED has "mouth harp" as a syn. for "Jew's-harp" uniquely from 1968.  But
that may be what is meant here, considering the price (allegedly $1.87 in
today's purchasing power):

1869 _Richmond Dispatch_ (May 10) 3: His "music box" ...[was] nothing more
nor less than a ten-cent _mouth harp_.

Since a "mouth organ" originally meant a set of panpipes, it only makes
sense that a Jew's-harp should be called a "mouth harp."

JL