[Ads-l] mulligan (golf)--warning: speculative

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Jun 9 13:28:35 UTC 2021

Thanks to Garson, Dan, and Dave.
Garson. Thanks for the great 1935 article set on the golf course in Ontario just east of Detroit. It’s worth going to the clip, evidently accessible without the personal subscription, which uses “mulligan” again after the transcribed excerpt.
Dan. Thanks for the 1920 prohibition-bemoaning citation(s). From the shore-side of Furman Street in Brooklyn, apparently, loud drunken sounds reportedly had bothered folks in more the upscale neighborhood on the other side of the street. I won’t now speculate much, beyond that “half and half” may be an alcoholic drink. “mulligan” here may or may not be “stew.” Unsettled, for me, yet.
Dave. Thanks for the fuller quotation of what OED had from 1936. Marin Hunter McIntyre (1878-1943) is indeed different than O. O. McIntyre, as I had guessed. As in so much in etymology writing, my guess was mistaken. Yet, maybe quite relevant, something left unmentioned in your post: he was indeed as well a long-time editor and journalist. Interesting to me is that in the 1920s he wrote for Army and Navy journals and for newsreels. Maybe worth a look? The assertion that mulligan “is not a coinage of Marvin McIntyre,” if I may say so, along with much else, remains to be seen.

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/
Stephen Goranson's Home Page - Duke University<http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/>
Stephen Goranson. goranson "at" duke "dot" edu. Jannaeus.pdf. My paper on the history of Alexander Jannaeus as the Qumran- and Essene-view "Wicked Priest" and Judah the Essene as the "Teacher of Righteousness" (3 August 2005 [revised 12 January 2006]; 34 pages), "Jannaeus, His Brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene ". Dura-Europos.pdf "7 vs. 8: The Battle Over the Holy Day at Dura-Europos"
people.duke.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 6:02 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: mulligan (golf)--warning: speculative

I don't know if this is relevant.
In the Brooklyn Eagle, 29 August 1920, in an article about Brooklyn Heights
by Edward V. Riis, I read the following sentence:
"Nor was it born of Maraschino, but half and half and mulligan."
The Maraschino refers to a phrase by George Ade: "Freedom shrieked when
Maraschino fell." found in Cosmopolitan for July 1920.
I have no idea what "half and half and mulligan" means!
DanG