[Ads-l] meet cute

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 25 05:36:04 UTC 2022

Coincidentally, I just came across an example of "meeting cute" from 1943.

---
https://archive.org/details/solittletime00marq/page/287/mode/1up
_So Little Time_ by John P. Marquand (1943), pp. 287-8
"Perhaps they don't meet cute enough," Mae said.
You could not get away from studio jargon. "Meeting cute" meant roughly
that our hero did something like stepping on a banana peel, losing his
balance and sliding on his behind up to the girl, though of course there
were infinite variations.
---