children's dictionary

Monica Macaulay mmacaula at WISC.EDU
Wed Nov 5 14:25:00 UTC 2003

I had actually envisioned something more like what Marguerite was
talking about below, but we held a couple of community meetings, and
what emerged was that they would prefer a dictionary for kids in the
age range of 4th-5th grade, organized by topic (e.g. seasons, colors,
food, etc.).  (We brought some samples of dictionaries that we found
in the library to the first meeting for them to get ideas from, and
there was this Dr. Seuss one organized by topic that they liked the
best.)  So that's how we're doing it.  It'll be illustrated (we're
working on getting that part dealt with!) and will be alphabetical
within each topic.

- Monica

>A good idea to begin with the children's dictionary, as the East
>Cree teachers, having seen the big lexicon, find that a smaller
>student version would be more useful in the classroom.  Choosing the
>words is the problem, but teachers are now identifying the words
>contained in the primary readers and other words they use in the
>classroom everyday.  We are aiming for a primary dictionary first.
>It will be easy to generate from the main database, once the words
>are identified.

Monica Macaulay
Department of Linguistics
University of Wisconsin