children's dictionary

Marguerite Mackenzie mmackenz at MUN.CA
Wed Nov 5 16:01:31 UTC 2003

The topic dictionary is probably the most useful to teachers and the Cree
teachers had already p[roduced something called the 'Word Resource Book'
which fulfilled this need.  Now the teachers want a smaller version of a
regular dictionary so students can learn alphabetization and other
dictionary skills.

At 08:25 AM 11/5/2003 -0600, Monica Macaulay wrote:
>I had actually envisioned something more like what Marguerite was
>talking about below, but we held a couple of community meetings, and
>what emerged was that they would prefer a dictionary for kids in the
>age range of 4th-5th grade, organized by topic (e.g. seasons, colors,
>food, etc.).  (We brought some samples of dictionaries that we found
>in the library to the first meeting for them to get ideas from, and
>there was this Dr. Seuss one organized by topic that they liked the
>best.)  So that's how we're doing it.  It'll be illustrated (we're
>working on getting that part dealt with!) and will be alphabetical
>within each topic.
>
>- Monica
>

>>A good idea to begin with the children's dictionary, as the East
>>Cree teachers, having seen the big lexicon, find that a smaller
>>student version would be more useful in the classroom.  Choosing the
>>words is the problem, but teachers are now identifying the words
>>contained in the primary readers and other words they use in the
>>classroom everyday.  We are aiming for a primary dictionary first.
>>It will be easy to generate from the main database, once the words
>>are identified.
>

>--
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Monica Macaulay
>Department of Linguistics
>University of Wisconsin
>1168 Van Hise