Fwd: relative roots

Richard Rhodes rrhodes at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Apr 19 22:58:11 UTC 2006

Monica,
	There are a couple of considerations with relative roots. As
I have been arguing for about ten years now (and no one seems to
notice), relative roots have properties that suggest they are
analogous to head marking. What I mean is the following.

	We translate simple transitive verb forms with something that
suggests the object slot which must be filled.

	waabamaad	vta	'see s.o./s.t. (an.)'

Since relative roots analogously license clausal complements, we
should gloss them analogously with appropriate indefinites:

	inaabid		vai	'look in a certain direction'
	inaabamaad	vta	'see s.o./s.t. (an.) looking like s.t.'
	apatood		vai	'run along a certain route'
	onjinawaad	vta	'kill s.o. for a certain reason'

But with 20/20 hindsight, because the head markings all have null
definite readings, it would probably be more accurate to gloss them
with definites.

	waabamaad	vta	'see him/her/it (an.)'

and

	inaabid		vai	'look in that direction'
	inaabamaad	vta	'see him/her/it (an.) looking like that'
	apatood		vai	'run along that route'
	onjinawaad	vta	'kill him/her/it for that reason'

I used the indefinite option in my dictionary, but I'm thinking that
if I had it to do over again, I'd go with definites.

Rich

  Richard A. Rhodes
  Department of Linguistics
  University of California