Fwd: relative roots

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Wed Apr 19 23:22:31 UTC 2006

Re: Fwd: relative rootsI agree with Rich on this. And I prefer using an English definite as I gloss relative roots in our Cheyenne dictionary. Early in my work on Cheyenne I used the Bloomfieldian "thus" but after awhile I realized it didn't make much sense to many English speakers, not to mention Cheyenne speakers for whom we want the dictionary to be user-friendly.

Hence:

Enêheseve 'he did it that way'
Ehevoo'o 'that's what he said'

Wayne Leman
  Monica,
          There are a couple of considerations with relative roots. As I have been arguing for about ten years now (and no one seems to notice), relative roots have properties that suggest they are analogous to head marking. What I mean is the following.

          We translate simple transitive verb forms with something that suggests the object slot which must be filled.

          waabamaad       vta     'see s.o./s.t. (an.)'

  Since relative roots analogously license clausal complements, we should gloss them analogously with appropriate indefinites:

          inaabid         vai     'look in a certain direction'
          inaabamaad      vta     'see s.o./s.t. (an.) looking like s.t.'
          apatood         vai     'run along a certain route'
          onjinawaad      vta     'kill s.o. for a certain reason'

  But with 20/20 hindsight, because the head markings all have null definite readings, it would probably be more accurate to gloss them with definites.

          waabamaad       vta     'see him/her/it (an.)'

  and

          inaabid         vai     'look in that direction'
          inaabamaad      vta     'see him/her/it (an.) looking like that'
          apatood         vai     'run along that route'
          onjinawaad      vta     'kill him/her/it for that reason'

  I used the indefinite option in my dictionary, but I'm thinking that if I had it to do over again, I'd go with definites.

  Rich