relative roots

Monica Macaulay mmacaula at WISC.EDU
Thu Apr 20 01:06:17 UTC 2006

Yeah, that's exactly the point - I just don't  think 'thus' is user-
friendly except for linguists who are used to these bizarre
definitions (a good 'hither' one for Menominee is the preverb defined
as 'in the hither course of time' - anybody got a good translation
for that one?!?).

One of the students working as a PA on the project had the following
to say (Becky, I hope you don't mind that I'm forwarding it!):

Hi Monica - I can't remember if I mentioned this when we talked about
it before, but I personally like to gloss relative roots with an X.
So aeN- would be 'in X manner', other relative roots would be 'X
fast', 'X long', 'X many times', etc. This indicates clearly to me
that the relative root denotes a variable that needs to be filled in
by an expression elsewhere in the sentence. Not sure if that works
for all audiences, but anyway it's another option to consider. I
think both 'thus' and 'in that way' are very misleading glosses.

I also totally agree with David Costa's comments about not expecting
a dictionary to explain the grammer to people.

-becky

My first reaction was that using the X would be way too mathmatical-
looking, but it does get across the fact that something needs to be
filled.  Has anyone considered this or done it?  I think it's
something I would definitely need to get speaker/learner input on
before doing!

- Monica