pointing, not with finger

Amy Dahlstrom a-dahlstrom at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Mar 6 20:49:16 UTC 2013

Many, many thanks to everyone for their comments on the list, and to
those who have sent me private messages.  (Note to Rand -- at least 3
people told me that they can read the posts but are blocked from
replying to the list.  Can you let people know what to do in order to
post to the list?)

It's remarkable how widespread this practice is:  from the Micmacs to
the Blackfoot -- what an amazing range!  And it's great to hear about
the non-Algonquian groups as well (Dakota, Navajo, Apache). How
interesting that the Metis follow a different pattern!

Bernie, I knew you would have a good story to tell.  thanks!

Arden Ogg sent me a link to a discussion of this topic, which starts
with a joke.  I'll copy the joke here:

http://www.manataka.org/page1889.html
"At a Cultural Sensitivity seminar in Los Angeles for counselors working
in minority communities, the teacher offered the following joke.

Three good friends were out hunting with their favorite dogs, boasting
about their hunting ability.  "Watch this" said the English man.
"Rover, go seek!"  Immediately his dog took off at a full run, darting
all through the brush, until he came to a bevy of quail.  The dog froze,
pointing with his front leg and standing like a statue, marking the spot
where the quail stood.

"That's very impressive" said his French hunting partner, "but watch
this."  With a series of shrill whistles he directed his dog to search.
The French man's dog sped off and soon found the location of an animal,
hidden in the brush.  The dog barked furiously and spun in circles,
marking the location of the hiding animal.

Both the English and the French man then turned to their Native American
hunting partner.  "What can your dog do?"  they asked. The native man
motioned to his dog with his chin, sweeping the surroundings with a
motion of his head.  The native dog looked around, sat down, and pointed
toward another patch of brush with his lips.

Predictably, the native people in the audience laughed out loud."

*******

I was especially interested to hear the comments about spirits and
sorcery (e.g. Dick, Adrian, Anne L's link to Rob B's work).   I think
there is also such a connection between finger-pointing and spirits
among the Meskwaki.   A 1912 text by Alfred Kiyana which I published in
/Anthropological Linguistics/ in 2003 contains an illustration depicting
a spirit with wings pointing with his finger (at a fasting young man);
later, when recounting his experience to his father the young man says,
     apina=meko netaawinoohokwa  (/apina /'even' =/meko /emphatic
particle; verb stem /aawinoohw/-  3rd sg. subject, 1st sg object)
     'He even pointed at me.'
In the story, the spirit with wings is angry at the young man for having
accepted the blessing of an underwater spirit.   The young man should
have waited, since the spirit with wings would have blessed him in a
better way.

Here's what I said about this aspect of the text in the article:

         " We learn less in this story about the winged spirit than we
do about the underwater spirit.There is, however, an antagonism between
underwater spirits and the thunder beings that would have been well
known to the audience for this story.(See Jones 1907:202--207 and
Michelson 1930:119--121 for stories of battles between the two;
Michelson 1930:54--56 discusses their opposition, with photographs of
woven bags depicting a thunderbird on one side and an underwater panther
on the other.)Though the winged spirit in this text is not explicitly so
identified, the fact that he is a spirit of the air and the enemy of the
underwater spirit may suggest that he is one of the thunderers.(See
Jones 1907:175 for a story in which a thunderer appears to a married
couple in human form.)

That the winged spirit points at the young man is significant (17C;
illustration 2), since pointing at people with the finger is avoided in
Meskwaki culture.Kiyana's lengthy version of the origin myth (Kiyana
1913) contains several references that shed light on the associations of
pointing.For example, the culture hero, Wi?sahke?ha, has the ability to
create objects, such as a lake, merely by pointing at a spot (p.
723).Moreover, Wi?sahke?ha informs the human beings of the Warchief clan
that if they point at someone they are quarreling with, that person will
die (p. 791).Later in the same story, a spirit is pointed at by other
spirits, as part of a scolding (p. 963).Pointing with the finger thus
seems to be associated both with mystical power and with the expression
of anger."

Perhaps if pointing with the finger is something that spirits can do
(whether to create, or to punish), it is disrespectful (as Dick
suggests) or even dangerous for humans to try to usurp that power.  (And
of course even if the original motivation might be no longer well
remembered, the practice of avoiding finger-pointing could continue on
for some time.)

In any event, thanks again to all for the fascinating discussion. Please
send more reports and stories, if you have them!

with best wishes,
Amy