Pejorative vs. Diminutive

Philip S. LeSourd plesourd at INDIANA.EDU
Wed May 8 04:21:33 UTC 2013

This word, per the online Maliseet-Passamaquoddy Dictionary, is
motewolonuweku 'he/she has soiled his/her diapers'. This is not a
pejorative form. It would appear to consist of motewolonuw-, stem of
motewolon 'person with other-than-human powers' (though why this stem
is the base I cannot say!) = -ek- 'cloth-like object' + -e- AI final +
-w (deleted), the third-person independent indicative inflection.
Recall in all this that o = schwa.

Phil LeSourd