testing proficiency

Michael Sullivan Sr sulli720 at UMN.EDU
Wed Nov 13 15:31:27 UTC 2013

Poso Monica,
I developed an OPI and reading/writing proficiency assessment for Ojibwe.
Ronco (Ron Corn) has a copy of one of the evaluation reports that includes
the a description of the methodology.  OPI is the best way in my opinion.
You don't directly assess any particular linguistic form (structural
approach, first instinct for linguists) or specific domain, but rather
their functional ability to use the language spontaneously.  The one I
designed for Ojibwe follows the OPI model from ACTFL.  I'm sure there are
others.  Let me know if you need any pointers or advice.  Wawaenen. :)
Mike

--
Michael Sullivan
Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe