[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Wolvengrey, Arok awolvengrey at firstnationsuniversity.ca
Wed Nov 19 21:57:20 UTC 2014

Ah, well, if the Wendat borrowed the word for Inuit from an Algonquian language, that at least suggests that Inuktitut probably can't be completely ruled out as a potential model for the dual as well.

ᐋᐧᐱ ᑭᐦᐃᐤ
Arok Wolvengrey
Professor, Algonquian Languages and Linguistics and
Department Head of Indigenous Languages, Arts and Cultures
First Nations University of Canada
1 First Nations Way
Regina, SK   S4S 7K2

phone:  (306) 790-5950 ext. 3310
fax:      (306) 790-5995
I think that you are probably right.  At least with presenting the forms that the dual took in Wendat it can be, as the police say, eliminated from our inquiries as a suspect.  There are a number of grammatical elements that the two languages share.  The inclusive/exclusive distinction and a locative suffix, which in Wendat usually is -ye-, come immediately to mind.  The Wendat did borrow some lexical items from Algonquians.  The word for the Inuit, which is unique to Wendat of the Iroquoian languages, and their word for caribou are two that are clearly borrowed.

John