[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Danielle E. Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Thu Nov 20 01:27:27 UTC 2014

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I'm totally amazed by the
sophistication of your suggestions and explanations. The reason of my
question is that I'm presently working on Mi'gmaq place names related to
early PEA migrations into the Gaspe Peninsula and Atlantic Canada. The more
I read in archaeology, the more I wonder about the cultural contacts that
might have taken place when the PEA arrived in these territories.   Except
for Peter Denny, no archaeological writings seem to advocate for such
contacts. All they say is that the Planos arrived ca 9,000 BP and the PEA
ca 3,000-4,000 BP. Nobody (to my candid knowledge) talks about possible
encounters between the two groups. And none talks about the disappearance -
or not- of the Planos. Once again except Peter Denny. On the other hand, my
readings, so far, seem to indicate a complete separation between
archaeology and linguistics. Which is corroborated by David W. Anthony.
1990. Migration in Archaeology: The Baby and the Bathwater. American
Anthropologist; Dec 1990; 92, 4;
>From this, a new question arising in my mind: did someone ever tried to
compare John Hewson's Dictionary of Proto-Algonquian with a Mi'gmaq
dictionary to try and list the Mi'gmaq words that do not belong to PA; and
then to analyze these words and try to draw a kind of phonetic/phonological
sketch of a possible (dead) loaning language of some kind ?
If Peter Denny's hypothesis is correct, and if Fiedel 1987 is correct that
Mi'gmaq shares only 50 percent of its lexicon with other Central and even
Eastern Algonquian languages, this should be feasible. In comparison, if
French had disappeared from the records, one should be able to deduce its
phonological patterns by analyzing all the words that English doesn't share
with any other European languages, More or less.
Am I too far gone ?
Danielle
Dr. Danielle E. Cyr, Senior Scholar at York University
339, boul. Perron ouest
New Richmond, QC,  G0C 2BO
dcyr at yorku.ca - 418.392.7271