[Algonquiana] Prehistoric Language contact ?

Danielle E. Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Thu Nov 20 20:08:49 UTC 2014

Again thanks to All for the various, very helping explanations. Most of
what has been referred to is susceptible to have happen, at least partly,
to old Mi'gmaq. However, my feeling is that none per se can be responsible
for the lexical divergence of Mi'gmaq compared to other Eastern and Central
Algonquian languages. And, I dare say, not even the combination of all of
them.
Like Peter Bakker, I've thought of an internal shift in vocabulary for some
reason (taboo, renaming of legend characters, including animal ones, etc).
For instance in Old French the common noun for fox was goupil. In many fox
tales, the fox's name was Renard. This is how renard is now the common noun
for fox. So, from mashku to mui'n ?
As for the taboo effect, it can be, but such taboos last for a generation
or two at most, then the name will come back by being given to a newborn.
Plus taboo would not be practiced with such a magnitude on the overall
vocabulary.

As for dual, yes, Mi'gmaq has it. It is used for things and people always
appearing as a pair. It is also used for people or things coming as a
bunch, i.e family members, and I would guess musicians in a band, etc. Now
is Mi'gmaq dual a grammatical borrowing, or is it that other EA and CA had
it and lost it ? Latin, for instance, lost it compared to other IE
languages. Reminiscences of it exist in the word ambi  'both'.
Trade languages may certainly leave traces in the speech of bilinguals, but
enough to have such an effect on the whole vocabulary of a language ?
I think David and others who hypothesize a long lasting bilingualism,
whether with an Iroquoian language (which I doubt could have last that
long) or with a now disappeared older language is the best hypothesis. Both
at the phonetic level - adult speakers of L1 learning L2 would bring some
of their phonetic features into L2, and at the lexical level. Two cultures
in contact will necessarily exchange about everything from food, tools,
medicine, folktales, religion, etc. through simple friendship or
intermarriage - and lexical items all along.
David's caveat is good : "see how much of it could be explained by normal
Mi’gmaq-internal derivational processes. That is, some of the anomalous
words could simply be neologisms, and not necessarily ancient
pre-Algonquian loans." I have started to contrast each item of John
Hewson's dictionary of PA with the Metallic, Cyr & Sévigny. Especially on
the animal, tool, kinship, calendar and numbers. Whenever I have a decent
list, I will be too happy to share it. If any of you have grad students
looking for a thesis topic. please feel free to orient them towards the
topic.
Till later,
Danielle

Dr. Danielle E. Cyr, Senior Scholar at York University
339, boul. Perron ouest
New Richmond, QC,  G0C 2BO
dcyr at yorku.ca - 418.392.7271